The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community’s first and highest priority is to ensure the health and safety of our members, employees and guests.
As a sovereign nation, the SMSC is closely monitoring the situation, consulting with the State of Minnesota and Scott County, and following guidance from the Minnesota Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
We are taking a vigilant approach while information about COVID-19 and its spread continues to develop. In recent days, we have implemented a number of precautions at our enterprises to ensure the health and safety of our members, employees and guests. We will continue to update this webpage as new information develops or as additional changes are made.
Our enterprises have standard cleaning protocols in place that regularly disinfect shared surfaces, sanitize food and beverage equipment, and systemically clean all areas of our gaming and tribal operations. These standard procedures are in place to prevent the spread of any number of viruses, but we are reminding employees to be extra mindful during this time, and we are continuing to do everything we can to make sure our environments are as clean as possible.
We have also implemented the following changes to the SMSC’s enterprises:
- Mystic Lake Casino Hotel and Little Six Casino: Mystic Lake and Little Six Casino will suspend operations temporarily starting at 12pm (noon) on March 18. This includes the Mystic Lake Hotel and Mystic Lake Center. The properties will initially be closed for 14 days and reassessed before a reopening date is announced. Additional information is available at https://mysticlake.com/health
- Dakotah Meadows RV Park: Effective Sunday, March 29, Dakotah Meadows RV Park operating hours will be 8am-4pm daily. New reservations for April 2020 are suspended. Water has been turned on for the season. In an effort to keep our guests and staff safe, the public restrooms/bathhouses will be closed until further notice. The laundry room remains open. The RV Park has implemented additional safety protocols for guests. Please read the updated policies surrounding COVID-19 at https://www.dakotahmeadows.com/covid19.
- Dakotah! Sport and Fitness: Dakotah! Sport and Fitness temporarily closed on March 17 at 5pm until further notice. Members will be credited in next month’s statement for the number of days the facility is closed.
- Education Department: All in-person activities are canceled until Monday, April 6. Our Student Support Teachers are working remotely and are available to students on their caseloads through phone and email.
- Health and Wellness Department: Open
- Hoċokata Ti: In response to the Minnesota Department of Health’s newest COVID-19 recommendations, the public exhibit, gift shop, and library at Hoċokata Ti will temporarily close to the public until further notice. As part of this closure, all tours are also suspended. If you have tickets and need to make a change, please call us at 952.233.9151. Our staff will continue to communicate any changes as they occur.
- Mazopiya: Open, but all classes are currently suspended. Mazopiya’s deli is open, but dine-in options including the self-serve drip coffee station and the deli soup bar are closed. To-go food options from the deli hot bar are still available however, as are Mazopiya Express items and Heat & Eat items. We will be reserving the first hour of shopping each weekday for our more vulnerable guests—such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. We request that the use of reusable bags be temporarily discontinued.
- Mdewakanton Public Safety: All classes have been canceled until further notice.
- Organics Recycling Facility: Effective Wednesday, April 1, the SMSC Organics Recycling Facility will be adjusting its hours to 7am-3pm, Monday-Friday (closed Saturday-Sunday), until further notice. The facility will also be temporarily suspending the intake of materials (e.g., food waste, yard waste, etc.) starting end of business day on April 1. Commercial and residential customers will still be able to purchase products from the facility, including compost and mulch. The SMSC Organics Recycling Facility—in agreement with the cities of Prior Lake, Savage, and Shakopee—has canceled the Spring Yard Waste Drop-Off program for Scott County residents and SMSC employees and team members.
- Playworks: Starting Wednesday, March 25, Playworks will be operating from 7am-6:30pm, Monday-Friday. Childcare is open for those with contracts. Playworks Café will be closed until further notice. Hourly drop-off, family play in the atrium, group trips, and birthday parties are suspended until further notice.
- Shakopee Dakota Convenience Stores: Open, implementing extra cleaning measures. Out of an abundance of caution, stores will no longer have hot prepared foods available for self-service effective Tuesday, March 17. Effective Sunday, March 29, Shakopee Dakota Convenience Stores will be implementing the following hours, until further notice:
- SDCS 1 (15035 Mystic Lake Drive): 6am-11pm
- SDCS 2 (14160 Wilds Path Northwest): 6am-8pm
- Shakopee Dakota Medical Clinic: The clinic is prepared to see an influx of patients. Please call before going to the clinic.
- SMSC Pharmacy: In an effort to continue to provide a high level of service while maintaining the safety of customers and staff, SMSC Pharmacy will be implementing a drive-thru only service effective Tuesday, March 24. To facilitate this process, we encourage you to call ahead at 952.233.2900 with your credit card information. It will be stored in a secure, encrypted format. Eliminating the collection of credit cards at the drive-thru will reduce virus exposure and speed up the transaction process. Over-the-counter items will be available for purchase through the drive-thru.
- SMSC Water Bottling: The facility is practicing social distancing and staggering staff schedules.
- The Meadows at Mystic Lake: Pro Shop is closed until further notice. Course remains closed for the winter season.
Our wide-ranging departments and enterprises have unique work environments. Staff have been asked to be flexible with their schedules and work from home when possible.
We are encouraging employees to continue to follow recommended practices for avoiding the spread of the illness, such as frequent hand washing; staying home when sick; avoiding touching eyes, noses and faces; covering coughs and sneezes; and practices social distancing. We are also offering paid time off for any employee diagnosed with COVID-19.
Learn More About the SMSC
Read about our people or visit our frequently asked questions for additional information about the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.
Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community
2330 Sioux Trail NW
Prior Lake, MN 55372
Contact a Department >