The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community’s first and highest priority is to ensure the health and safety of our members, employees and guests.
As a sovereign nation, the SMSC is closely monitoring the situation, consulting with the State of Minnesota and Scott County, and following guidance from the Minnesota Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
We are taking a vigilant approach while information about COVID-19 and its spread continues to develop. In recent days, we have implemented a number of precautions at our enterprises to ensure the health and safety of our members, employees and guests. We will continue to update this webpage as new information develops or as additional changes are made.
While the SMSC and its enterprises are not required to follow Minnesota’s statewide mask mandate, the SMSC has its own face covering policy. Employees, customers and guests will be required to wear masks when on any SMSC property and when they are unable to maintain proper social distancing requirements of at least six feet apart.
Our enterprises have standard cleaning protocols in place that regularly disinfect shared surfaces, sanitize food and beverage equipment, and systemically clean all areas of our gaming and tribal operations. These standard procedures are in place to prevent the spread of any number of viruses, but we are reminding employees to be extra mindful during this time, and we are continuing to do everything we can to make sure our environments are as clean as possible.
We have also implemented the following changes to the SMSC’s enterprises:
- Mystic Lake Casino and Little Six Casino: Open with reduced occupancy and proper social distancing. Learn how we’re taking action to keep you and our team members safe and healthy >>
- Dakotah Meadows RV Park: Operating hours will be 8am-4pm daily until further notice. In an effort to keep our guests and staff safe, the public restrooms/bathhouses will be closed until further notice. While our laundry room remains open, we ask that guests follow social distancing practices. The RV Park has implemented additional safety protocols for guests. Please read our updated policies surrounding COVID-19 >>
- Dakotah! Sport and Fitness: Open with reduced occupancy and proper social distancing. Please read our updated policies surrounding COVID-19 >>
- Education Department: Student Support Teachers are working remotely and are available to students on their caseloads through phone and email.
- Hoċokata Ti: The public exhibit—Mdewakanton: Dwellers of the Spirit Lake—and gift shop are open. The exhibit and gift shop will be open Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 10am–4pm. Admittance to the exhibit is by reservation only. Please purchase your tickets in advance online or by calling 952.233.9151. Guided exhibit tours may be available upon special request.
- Mazopiya: Open, but all classes are currently suspended. The first hour of shopping each weekday is reserved for our more vulnerable guests—such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. We request that the use of reusable bags be temporarily discontinued. Mazopiya will no longer be accepting any returns on products purchased from the store.
- Organics Recycling Facility: The SMSC Organics Recycling Facility has resumed the intake of materials (e.g., food waste, yard waste, etc.).
- Playworks: Child care is open for those with contracts. Playworks will be operating from 6:30am-6:30pm, Monday-Friday. The Playworks Atrium, Playcare drop-off services, Playtime hourly care, Family Play, group trips, and birthday parties will remain suspended until further notice. The Playworks LINK Event Center and Playworks Café are also closed until further notice.
- Shakopee Dakota Convenience Stores: Open with comprehensive sanitizing and social distancing.
- Shakopee Dakota Medical Clinic: The clinic is open by appointment only.
- SMSC Pharmacy: In an effort to continue to provide a high level of service while maintaining the safety of customers and staff, SMSC Pharmacy has implementing a drive-thru only service. To facilitate this process, we encourage you to call ahead at 952.233.2900 with your credit card information. It will be stored in a secure, encrypted format. Eliminating the collection of credit cards at the drive-thru will reduce virus exposure and speed up the transaction process. Over-the-counter items will be available for purchase through the drive-thru. Pharmacy hours are Mon-Thu: 7am-7pm; Fri: 7am – 6pm; Sat: 7am – Noon; Sun: Closed.
- The Meadows at Mystic Lake: The Meadows at Mystic Lake is closed for the season; however, the Pro Shop remains open.
Our wide-ranging departments and enterprises have unique work environments. Staff have been asked to be flexible with their schedules and work from home when possible.
We are encouraging employees to continue to follow recommended practices for avoiding the spread of the illness, such as frequent hand washing; staying home when sick; avoiding touching eyes, noses and faces; covering coughs and sneezes; and practices social distancing. We are also offering paid time off for any employee diagnosed with COVID-19.
Learn More About the SMSC
Read about our people or visit our frequently asked questions for additional information about the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.
Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community
2330 Sioux Trail NW
Prior Lake, MN 55372
Contact a Department >