The Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community’s first and highest priority is to ensure the health and safety of our members, employees and guests.
As a sovereign nation, the SMSC is closely monitoring the situation, consulting with the State of Minnesota and Scott County, and following guidance from the Minnesota Department of Health and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
We are taking a vigilant approach while information about COVID-19 and its spread continues to develop. In recent days, we have implemented a number of precautions at our enterprises to ensure the health and safety of our members, employees and guests. We will continue to update this webpage as new information develops or as additional changes are made.
Our enterprises have standard cleaning protocols in place that regularly disinfect shared surfaces, sanitize food and beverage equipment, and systemically clean all areas of our gaming and tribal operations. These standard procedures are in place to prevent the spread of any number of viruses, but we are reminding employees to be extra mindful during this time, and we are continuing to do everything we can to make sure our environments are as clean as possible.
We have also implemented the following changes to the SMSC’s enterprises:
- Mystic Lake Casino and Little Six Casino: Open with reduced occupancy and proper social distancing. Learn how we’re taking action to keep you and our team members safe and healthy >>
- Dakotah Meadows RV Park: Operating hours will be 8am-4pm daily until further notice. Water has been turned on for the season. In an effort to keep our guests and staff safe, the public restrooms/bathhouses will be closed until further notice. While our laundry room remains open, we ask that guests follow social distancing practices. The RV Park has implemented additional safety protocols for guests. Please read our updated policies surrounding COVID-19 >>
- Dakotah! Sport and Fitness: Out of an abundance of caution, Dakotah! Sport and Fitness has made the difficult decision to delay our reopening. We understand that this is a disappointing delay for many, and we are eager to open our doors once it is safe to do so. The health and safety of our members, employees, Community Members, neighbors, and the public is always our top concern. We will communicate the reopening date as soon as possible and look forward to seeing you all again in the near future.
- Education Department: All in-person activities are canceled until further notice. Our Student Support Teachers are working remotely and are available to students on their caseloads through phone and email.
- Health and Wellness Department: All Health and Wellness programs—including the Fitbit program—will be temporarily suspended until further notice.
- Hoċokata Ti: In response to the Minnesota Department of Health’s newest COVID-19 recommendations, the public exhibit, gift shop, and library at Hoċokata Ti will temporarily close to the public until further notice. As part of this closure, all tours are also suspended. If you have tickets and need to make a change, please call us at 952.233.9151. Our staff will continue to communicate any changes as they occur.
- Mazopiya: Open, but all classes are currently suspended. Mazopiya’s deli is open, but dine-in options including the self-serve drip coffee station and the deli soup bar are closed. To-go food options from the deli hot bar are still available however, as are Mazopiya Express items and Heat & Eat items. We will be reserving the first hour of shopping each weekday for our more vulnerable guests—such as the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. We request that the use of reusable bags be temporarily discontinued. Mazopiya was discontinued all self-serve bulk items. Mazopiya will no longer be accepting any returns on products purchased from the store.
- Mdewakanton Public Safety: All classes have been canceled until further notice.
- Organics Recycling Facility: The SMSC Organics Recycling Facility operating hours are 7am-3pm, Monday-Friday (closed Saturday-Sunday), until further notice. Commercial and residential customers will still be able to purchase products from the facility, including compost and mulch. The SMSC Organics Recycling Facility—in agreement with the cities of Prior Lake, Savage, and Shakopee—has canceled the Spring Yard Waste Drop-Off program for Scott County residents and SMSC employees and team members. The SMSC Organics Recycling Facility has resumed the intake of materials (e.g., food waste, yard waste, etc.), from residential and commercial customers.
- Playworks: Playworks operating house are 7am-6:30pm, Monday-Friday, until further notice. Childcare is open for those with contracts. Playworks Café will be closed until further notice. Hourly drop-off, family play in the atrium, group trips, and birthday parties are suspended until further notice. The Playworks LINK Event Center is closed until further notice.
- Shakopee Dakota Convenience Stores: On Sunday June 7, SDCS #1 (15035 Mystic Lake Drive) will resume being open 24 hours, seven day a week. SDCS #1 is preparing to open the Brat Wagon on Friday May 29 — all brats, hot dogs, and burgers will be cooked outside and then wrapped and transferred to the warmers inside to minimize contact. All condiments will be pre-packaged and/or offered in 1-oz to-go cups.
- Shakopee Dakota Medical Clinic: The clinic is prepared to see an influx of patients. Please call before going to the clinic.
- SMSC Pharmacy: In an effort to continue to provide a high level of service while maintaining the safety of customers and staff, SMSC Pharmacy has implementing a drive-thru only service. To facilitate this process, we encourage you to call ahead at 952.233.2900 with your credit card information. It will be stored in a secure, encrypted format. Eliminating the collection of credit cards at the drive-thru will reduce virus exposure and speed up the transaction process. Over-the-counter items will be available for purchase through the drive-thru.
- The Meadows at Mystic Lake: The Meadows at Mystic Lake is now open. The Pro Shop will open on May 21, 2020. Social distancing guidelines and other modified course rules are in place until further notice. Learn more about our modified policies >>
Our wide-ranging departments and enterprises have unique work environments. Staff have been asked to be flexible with their schedules and work from home when possible.
We are encouraging employees to continue to follow recommended practices for avoiding the spread of the illness, such as frequent hand washing; staying home when sick; avoiding touching eyes, noses and faces; covering coughs and sneezes; and practices social distancing. We are also offering paid time off for any employee diagnosed with COVID-19.
Learn More About the SMSC
Read about our people or visit our frequently asked questions for additional information about the Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community.
Shakopee Mdewakanton Sioux Community
2330 Sioux Trail NW
Prior Lake, MN 55372
Contact a Department >